The SAFER and SATIRE: Tools to Engage Families and Caregivers in Authentic Assessment
This five-part professional learning webinar looks at the underlying components of authentic assessment and how family and caregiver interviews can contribute to IFSP and IEP development. Part 2 of the webinar explores the Scale for Assessment of Family Enjoyment of Routines, the SAFER. Part 3 of the webinar explores the Scale for Assessment of Teachers’ Impressions of Routines and Engagement, the SATIRE. Part 4 of the webinar explores strategies from the Routines Based Interview to gather robust information of children, families and caregivers during day to day activities. Part 5 of the webinar synthesizes the information from these interviews to support the completion of thorough assessment summaries and the development of functional outcomes and goals.
Use the links associated with each of the five parts of the webinar to access related resources for additional information and to complete enrichment activities.
This five-part webinar was developed by Mary Hendricks, a program specialist with Johns Hopkins University Center for Technology in Education. She currently serves as the Routines-Based Interview Content coach for Maryland.
PART ONE: INTRODUCTION
PART TWO: THE SCALE FOR ASSESSMENT OF FAMILY ENJOYMENT WITHIN ROUTINES (SAFER)
- The Scale for Assessment of Family Enjoyment within Routines (SAFER)*
- Activity 2.1: Review of SAFER*
- Activity 2.2: SAFER Note Taking Tool*
- Part 2 SAFER Video Clip 1: Wakeup
- Part 2 SAFER Video Clip 2: Mealtime
- Part 2 SAFER Video Clip 3: Bewitching Hour
PART THREE: THE SCALE FOR THE ASSESSMENT OF TEACHERS’ IMPRESSIONS OF ROUTINES (SATIRE)
- The Scale for the Assessment of Teachers’ Impressions of Routines (SATIRE)*
- Activity 3.1: Review of the SATIRE*
- Activity 3.2: SATIRE Note Taking Tool*
- Part 3 SATIRE Video Clip 1: Arrival
- Part 3 SATIRE Video Clip 2: Mealtime
- Part 3 SATIRE Video Clip 3: Book Time
- Part 3 SATIRE Video Clip 4: Circle
- Part 3 SATIRE Video Clip 5: Academic Small Group
PART FOUR: DIGGING DEEP INTO ROUTINES
- Activity 4.1: Interview Skills*
- Activity 4.2: Profile Across Routines of Engagement (Video Activity)*
- PARE: Profile Across Routines of Engagement (Checklist)
- Part 4 Optional Activity: Adult Learning Styles Questionnaire*
PART FIVE: FROM INTERVIEW TO INTERVENTIONS
*This pdf is not 100% accessible and is not a required resource.